23 January 2014

Treasure

Last week, I had wondered how to blend three words into one to give myself a single motivational drive for 2014. Well, within days, God had given me a gift with specific verses that may as well have been highlighted in my Bible in hot pink. They jumped at me and shook me, saying, "This! This!" and:


Treasure ------------------------------------------- 
my inheritance.

The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. ~Matthew 13:44

The kingdom of heaven is priceless treasure. It is the most desirable thing on earth--worth more than anything else in my reach. Do I value it? Do I make time each day to immerse myself in that kingdom by studying the Bible, by praying, and by encouraging others to do the same? Our conquering Christ did not overthrow Rome in His first coming, but He did establish a kingdom that reigns in us. Do I treasure that blessing? Do I dwell in it?


Treasure -------------------------------------------
my influence.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in and steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. ~Matthew 7:19-21

Storing up treasures in heaven sounds materialistic in my finite mind! But when I really think about it, it's the opposite of selfishness. It's materialism flipped upside down. Instead of building bigger barns on earth, we open our hands and look to bless and serve and encourage and share. To pursue the eternal is to see people before preferences. 

And Jesus said to them, "Therefore every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a head of a household, who brings out of his treasure things new and old." ~Matthew 13:52

Because I know the truth from Scripture, it is my responsibility to teach it first to my own children and then also to others. Christianity is not something you adopt so your family will have some centrality--so children will behave and so everyone comes together on Sundays. Christianity is becoming like Christ, not out of a fearful obligation but rather a sincere heart longing. Do I show this to my children? Do they see the treasure that I hold and want to share with them? And--do they see that I treasure them?

Me and my 3 little blessings

Treasure -------------------------------------------
my intake.
Your word have I treasured in my heart, 
That I may not sin against You. ~Psalm 119:11

What do I let into my mind? What do I read and watch and listen to? May it be praiseworthy and excellent and founded in truth. When I'm hit with dilemmas or even blessings, does Scripture flood my mind first? Is it so treasured that it becomes a first reaction?

Treasure -------------------------------------------
my ability.
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God not from ourselves. ~2 Corinthians 4:7

The context of this verse is that God's greatness outshines our own temporal and breakable bodies. I love that there is a treasure within this imperfect body--a Presence and a promise.

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body. ~1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Even though this verse is talking about morality, I believe I can take its principle to apply to taking care of my body too. Elisabeth Elliot said, "We cannot give our hearts to God and keep our bodies for ourselves." She's right. Being responsible with my health is an act of worship too.

So during my day, I whisper this word and refocus. Treasure.
Treasure who I am in Christ.
Treasure my precious time with my husband and children.
Treasure people.
Treasure the Word of God over crass entertainment.
Treasure this temple (my body) within which resides the Holy Spirit.

Treasure.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments awaiting moderation may not appear for several hours or--if the kids and I fall asleep at the same time--at least a day. Thank you for your patience and please do not feel deterred; your feedback and insight are most welcomed!