17 December 2013

Bonuses Abroad

There are so many blessings to being overseas, but some surprised me. Here are my top 3 bonuses abroad:

1. The ahjumas look after my children.


Wherever we go, they want to care for them, talk to them, and make them smile. What a gift!


2. I learned to cook from scratch.



There are no box meals here! In this picture, I'm making all the base ingredients that would usually come in a can or envelope. But it's awesome to cook from scratch, and I'm so thankful I learned how to do it!


3. My husband and I bonded on another level: the third culture level.

I am from Hawaii, and my husband is from Texas. We are different. We lived in Hawaii for 3 years and have visited his hometown several times, but it's overseas that our relationship is strongest. Neither of us is at an advantage (culturally) or more well-known (socially) or more likely to blend in (physically). We stick close together and brave the challenges side-by-side. I thank God for this.

So there are my top 3 bonuses to living abroad. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments awaiting moderation may not appear for several hours or--if the kids and I fall asleep at the same time--at least a day. Thank you for your patience and please do not feel deterred; your feedback and insight are most welcomed!